Church history


The icon on the outside of the Catholic Yukinoshita Church is a copy of the Mosaic of “Our Lady of Perpetual Help”.
Our church is dedicated to this icon, and since it`s foundation.


1948 年5 月に、カナダのレデンプトール会セント・アン・ド・ボープレ管区より三神父(カンパーニャ、レベック、ドモンティーニ)が来日し、聖母に対するノベナを捧げたことによって見つかったのが、鎌倉の当教会発祥の地です。奇しくも、絶えざる御助けの聖母の祝日、6 月20 日でした。
また、小教区が発足して、教会が脇田司教によって祝別されたのも、奇しくも、翌年1949年の絶えざる御助けの聖母の祝日である6 月19 日でした。


In May 1948, three priests (Campagna, Lévesque, DeMontigny) came to Japan from the Canadian Redemptorists, St. Anne de Beaupré District.
The birthplace of this church in Kamakura was found by their sacrifice and it is dedicated to Our Lady. Interestingly, June 20th, the foundation day was also “Our Lady of Perpetual Help” Feast day.
In addition to the fact that the day of the Local Ward of it’s establishment and the dedication of the church which was celebrated by Bishop Wakita were also the same day, June 19th, the feast day of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in 1949.

(The holiday moved to June 27th) 


『絶えざる御助けの聖母』の原画は非常に古く、長い間クレタ島で崇敬を受けていましたが、15 世紀にローマの聖マタイ聖堂に移されました。聖マタイ聖堂はフランス革命の際に破壊されましたが、19 世紀になって、聖画は摂理的な出来事によって発見され、レデンプトール会の創立者の聖アルフォンソに捧げられた聖堂に戻り、多くの人に崇敬を受けるようになりました。この聖堂が聖マタイ聖堂の跡に建てられた聖堂だったからです。そうした理由で、絶えざる御助けの聖母は、レデンプトール会とは深い縁によって結ばれています。カトリック雪ノ下教会でも、絶えざる御助けの聖母の信心会が毎週開かれ、多くの信徒によって崇敬されています。

The original painting of “Our Lady of Perpetual Help” is very old and has been
revered on Crete for a long time, then it was moved to St. Matthew’s Basilica in Rome in the 15th century.
St. Matthew’s Basilica was destroyed during the French Revolution, but in the 19th century, the icon was discovered by providencial events and returned to the Basilica dedicated to the founder of Redemporite, St. Alfonso. It started to receive reverence from the people. Because, it was built on the ruins of St.Matthew`s Basilica.
For that reason, the Redemptorist is tied to “Our Lady of Perpetual Help” by a deep connection. Even at the Catholic Yukinoshita Church, the continuation of
“Our Lady of Perpetual Help” ’s veneration is held every week and is revered by many believers.
The mosaic painting of Our Lady of the Church overlooking Wakamiya Oji leading to Kamakura Hachimangu Shrine is popular not only with believers but also with the general public and tourists. The sparkle of this icon comes from the Sun light and it is really beautiful to see.


年 譜
1948 年…カナダより3人の神父横浜港へ到着。6 月20 日カトリック 雪ノ下教会の始まり。
1950 年…4 月、敷地内に横須賀清泉小学校分校が開校、聖歌隊発足
1958 年…新聖堂竣工
1959 年…グロリア少年合唱団発足
1964 年…小教区創立15 周年を記念してオープンハウス開催
1981 年…後楽園球場で、ヨハネ・パウロ二世教皇のミサ
1988 年…レデンプトール会来日40 周年記念ミサ
1992 年…旧修道院お別れのミサ、遺跡発掘調査
1994 年…新しい信徒会館完成
1999 年…小教区創立50 周年記念ミサ
2008 年…4 月、横浜教区に移管される
2015 年…レデンプトール会聖画流布150 周年記念式典
2019 年…6 月、創立70 周年記念ミサ、11 月、フランシスコ教皇訪日

Three fathers from Canada arrived at Yokohama Port. June 20th: The beginning of the Catholic Yukinoshita Church.
In April, the Yokosuka Seisen Elementary School was opened on the premises,
the choir was established.
New Cathedral was established.
Gloria Boys Choir was established.
Open house held to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the parish.
Mass of Pope John Paul II at Korakuen Stadium.
Mass for commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Redemptor Society
Thanksgiving mass was held for old monastery. Site excavation survey began.
Completion of new congregation hall
Mass for the 50th anniversary of the parish
In April, Church transferred to Yokohama Parish.
Ceremony for the 150th anniversary of the Redemptor.
In June, 70th anniversary mass. In November, Pope Francis visits Japan.



世俗を捨て1726 年12 月、30 歳でアルフォンソは司祭に叙階されました。前にもまして貧しい人々への福音宣教に全力を傾けました。しかし余りにも熱心に布教活動を行ったため健康を害しスカラという山村に静養に出かけることになりました。ところがここでアルフォンソはナポリの貧民街よりも貧しく霊的に見放された人々がいることを知ったのです。
彼らは司祭に出会う事もなく宗教的に無知のまま辺境の田舎で暮らしていました。アルフォンソはさっそくに神の愛を説き、洗礼やゆるしの秘跡を授け村人を救いへと導きます。最も悲惨な状態にある人に奉仕することが神から与えられた責務と自覚し、同志を募り修道会をスカラの地に1732 年11 月9 日に創立しました。当時、ナポリ国王と教会は対立していたため様々な試練がありましたが1749 年2 月25 日教皇ベネディクト14 世により正式に認可されました。アルフォンソ52 歳の時でした。

Origin of the Redemptorist’s Society

In December 1726, Alfonso cloister was ordained as a priest at age of 30.
He has devoted himself to evangelization to the poor than ever before.
However, too much zealous missionary activities led to health problems and a retreat to a mountain village called Scala. Here Alfonso knew that there were people who were poorer and more spiritually dismissed than the poor streets of Naples.
They lived in remote countryside without religious ignorance activities and without encountering a priest. Alfonso immediately preached the love of God and gave blessings and sacraments of forgiveness and led the villagers to salvation. He realized that God’s duty was to serve the most miserable person to found a religious order on the 9th of November 1732 in Skala. At that time, the king of Naples and the church were in conflict, so there were various trials, but it was officially approved by Pope Benedict XIV on February 25, 1749.
Alfonso was 52 years old at that time.



東京準管区について…レデンプトール修道会が始めて日本の土を踏んだのは1948年5月8 日のことでした。当時の日本では戦争が終わり信教の自由が確立され、キリスト教への関心が高まっていました。しかし国内には期待に応える充分な数の聖職者がいなかったため海外から多くの修道会が布教のために来日しました。その状況の中、横浜教区司教の招きに応じたのがカナダのケベック州にあるセント・アン・ド・ボープレ管区で、まず鎌倉、そして翌年東京に修道院を開設されて、小教区での司牧を中心に活発な活動が行われました。やがて宣教は信州にもおよび1955 年に準管区に昇格しました。セント・アン・ド・ボープレから1 ケ月遅れで大阪教区司教の要請で来日したのが、同じくカナダのトロント管区から来た会員たちです。京都府の丹後地方を開拓し各町村に教会を建てるほど精力的な活動を行いました。1951 年に準管区に昇格、1956 年大阪に吹田教会を創建、1982 年に東京準管区と合併しました。

The spread of Redemptorists in Japan
About Tokyo quasi-district:

It was on May 8, 1948 that the Redemptorist monk first came to Japan. At that time, war was over and religious freedom was established, and interest in Christianity was growing in Japan. However, because there were not enough priests in the country to meet expectations, many monks from overseas came to Japan for missionary work.
The St. Ann de Beaupré district in Quebec, Canada, has responded to the invitation of the bishop of Yokohama. They first opened a monastery in Kamakura and then in Tokyo the following year. They were active mainly in the pastoral work in the parish. Eventually the mission was promoted to Shinshu.
The parish was promoted to a quasi-district in 1955.

Members from the Toronto District of Canada visited Japan at the request of the bishop of Osaka Parish. The area was promoted to a quasi-district in 1951,and the Suita Church was founded in 1956 in Osaka, and merged with the Tokyo quasi-district in 1982.